This high-protein blueberry chickpea salad is the perfect spring or summer dish when you're looking for something light and refreshing, yet satisfying! This salad is healthy, loaded with flavor, and takes only 10 minutes to throw together.
This homemade blueberry chickpea salad is naturally vegan, gluten-free, nutritious, and high in plant-based proteins. You could eat this salad as a meal or serve it at your next get-together as a side salad!
I wanted to make sure this salad was loaded with ingredients that will fill you because there is truly nothing worse than having a salad and being hungry 20 minutes later.
- Spring Mix: I chose spring mix because it gives you a variety of greens and maximum nutrients! I love how the different flavors and textures come together.
- Red Cabbage: just a little bit for added color and nutrients.
- Blueberries: the star of the show, seriously! I LOVE fruits in salad, they add the perfect burst of flavor.
- Chickpeas: to increase the amount of plant-based protein and make this salad more filling.
- Avocado: for some healthy fats and to ensure this salad is filling and satisfying.
- Sliced Almonds: to add a nice crunch to the salad and for some added protein.
- Hemp Seeds: more protein and healthy fats!
- White Balsamic Vinaigrette: the perfect dressing to bring this salad all together! It's super simple to make and only calls for 6 ingredients: white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, agave, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning!
How to Make this Blueberry Chickpea Salad
I seriously love salads solely for how quick and easy they are to make. There's absolutely 0 cooking involved, it's amazing.
- Whisk together the white balsamic vinaigrette ingredients until combined.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss. Either keep the dressing on the side or drizzle desired amount onto the salad. Toss again to combine.
- Serve as a meal or multiple side salads and enjoy!
I love this salad as is but the great thing about salads is how customizable they are! Let me know if you try out any of these variations.
- Serve with a different dressing! Dressings play a big role in a salads overall flavor, so if you have a dressing you swear by, use it! I would recommend a raspberry vinaigrette or a maple tahini dressing.
- Make it nut-free by getting rid of the almonds. You can replace them with a crunchier seed, like pepitas or sunflower seeds, or just leave them out entirely.
- Add more berries! Blackberries, strawberries, or raspberries would be a great addition to this salad.
- Use a different legume: I know some of you really hate chickpeas so feel free to swap them out with white beans instead.
- Swap the spring mix for spinach to make this a spinach blueberry salad
- Use roasted chickpeas for added crunch and flavor! Check out this recipe for 5 flavor variations.
- Use fresh blueberries for the best flavor and texture! Frozen blueberries are perfectly ripe but they will defrost on top of the salad making it watery and ultimately separating the oil/vinegar based dressing from the salad ingredients.
Yes! Prepare your salad and dressing as you normally would but instead of pouring the dressing onto the salad, store them separately in the fridge in airtight containers. This will make sure your salad ingredients don't get soggy when you are ready to eat it. Prepare at most 2 days in advance.
Any salad is best when enjoyed fresh! But as mentioned above, you can make this salad up to 2 days in advance if stored properly. Any leftovers, especially if already tossed in dressing, won't be be good for very long. Not because the ingredients will go bad, but because the salad will get super soggy.
Extra dressing will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for 7-10 days.
More delicious salads!
Loving this blueberry salad? I've got other satisfying salads, check 'em out:
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram. If you have any questions or feedback at all, send me an e-mail or leave a comment and review below. I hope you love this dish as much as we do!
Blueberry Chickpea Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette
Blueberry Chickpea Salad
- 3 handfuls of spring mix
- 1 cup red cabbage sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 avocado diced
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons almonds sliced
White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons agave
- ¼ teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together the white balsamic vinaigrette ingredients until combined.2 tablespoons almonds, ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar, ½ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons agave, ¼ teaspoon italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss. Either keep the dressing on the side or drizzle desired amount onto the salad. Toss again to combine.3 handfuls of spring mix, 1 cup red cabbage, 1 cup fresh blueberries, 1 cup chickpeas, 1 avocado, 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Serve as a meal or multiple side salads and enjoy!
This is my favorite salad of yours! So filling and refreshing
This is the perfect summer salad to add to your meal prep! It’s easy, so delicious, and super versatile depending on what ingredients you have in your fridge or your pantry. I have a nut allergy so I swapped the sliced almonds for pepitas, and it adds similar texture. Catch me munching on this salad for the next three months!
Pinch of Parsley
Thank you! So glad you liked this salad and made it work for you, Paige!!