These crispy roasted chickpeas are so easy to make, perfectly crunchy every time, and so versatile! We've got 5 yummy flavors to go through today and you can enjoy any of them as a healthy snack or on top of salads, toasts, or veggie bowls.
You can totally meal prep these on Sunday and pack them up on their own as a snack to bring to work or round out/add some crunch and flavor to your lunch! I hope you try each flavor, I can't wait to hear your favorite!
The ingredients are totally dependent on which flavor you're going for, but here's the basics you'll need no matter which flavor variation you choose!
- Chickpeas: of course, the star of the show!
- Olive Oil: this helps the seasoning stick to the chickpeas as well as get them nice and crispy.
- Seasoning: to make them super flavorful!
How to make crispy roasted chickpeas
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain your chickpeas, then pat them completely dry. It's okay if the shells come off! You can remove them all or leave whatever ones stay on, it won't make a difference.
- Toss the chickpeas in olive oil then in your chosen seasoning and spread them out evenly on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 35-45 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown. Enjoy!
Roasted Chickpea Flavor Variations
These are my five favorite ways to season roasted chickpeas:
- Sea Salt Roasted Chickpeas: a classic, basic recipe - roasted chickpeas with sea salt.
- Spicy Roasted Chickpeas: for a kick - roasted chickpeas with cayenne, chili powder, and salt.
- Barbecue (BBQ) Roasted Chickpeas: for a sweet tang - roasted chickpeas with cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and brown sugar.
- Sweet & Salty Roasted Chickpeas: I loveeee sweet and salty! These are similar to honey-roasted but we'll be using maple syrup and salt instead.
- Indian-Spiced Roasted Chickpeas: these remind me of my chickpea curry, so good! These are roasted chickpeas with curry powder, garam masala, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Make sure you pat the chickpeas completely dry with a dish towel or paper towels.
- Spread the chickpeas out in one layer! Make sure none on top of each other and try to keep them from touching/getting stuck together. This will help the chickpeas get crispy on all sides.
- Shake the baking sheet halfway through cooking. This will turn the chickpeas over and let them get roasted evenly.
- Don't skip the olive oil, seriously! It will help the chickpeas get a nice, crispy exterior.
- Make sure your oven is hot when you put the chickpeas in. Don't turn the oven on and put them in straight away, let it get preheated!
Yes! Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, healthy carbs, and vitamins and minerals!
No, at least not this recipe! We'll be using canned chickpeas, so you just need drain the aquafaba, rinse them well, and pat them dry before you season and roast them.
Bake time and the proper preparation are key to making and keeping your chickpeas crunchy! Make sure you follow my tips above and are baking them for at least 35-45 minutes. Check your oven temperature too and make sure it is really at 400 degrees F.
Let the chickpeas cool completely before putting them in any sealed container. If they're still warm, moisture will be created in the container and the chickpeas will lose their crispiness.
Store cooled leftovers in a loosely covered container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram. If you have any questions or feedback at all, send me an e-mail or leave a comment and review below. I hope you love this dish as much as we do!Print