Delicious, easy, and refreshing, this watermelon cucumber salad is the perfect summer dish. Paired with creamy feta, cool & crisp cucumbers, and fresh mint, it's bound to be a hit at your next cookout!
This watermelon salad is the perfect combination of sweet & savory and only takes a few minutes to throw together. This refreshing dish is truly meant for those hot summer days so it's perfect to bring for to a BBQ, picnic, pool party, or the beach. But by all means, make it at home and keep this recipe to yourself, I won't tell!
It's also naturally healthy, vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, and oil-free.
- Watermelon: the redder, the better! Try to get the ripest watermelon you could find for optimal flavor.
- Cucumbers: for added freshness and crunch.
- Arugula: as our base! I know a lot of watermelon salads don't use a green or lettuce, but I felt like this recipe needed it. Arugula is perfect because it adds that signature peppery flavor.
- Fresh Mint: for freshness and a hint of minty, sweet flavor!
- Vegan Feta Cheese: for a creamy and tangy element. Watermelon and feta is an extremely underrated combination. Together it creates the perfect balance of salty and sweet.
- Balsamic Glaze: as our dressing! Feel free to use balsamic vinegar instead.
I mean...I think we all can agree that salads are the superior side dish solely because of how quick and easy they are to throw together.
Start by cubing your watermelon and slicing your cucumber. Next, add all the ingredients to a large bowl or platter and toss to combine. THAT'S IT!!
Either serve immediately or refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
This watermelon cucumber salad is a great one to play around with! Here are a few of my favorite ways to change it up:
- Add a little crunch with a handful of walnuts or cashews. To keep this recipe nut-free, try pepita seeds!
- Use basil as your herb instead of mint. You'll still get that freshness just with a stronger, peppery flavor.
- Make this watermelon cucumber salad without feta by either removing it completely or replacing it with marinated tofu or a different cheese.
- Change up the fruit! Feel free to add in strawberries or tomatoes, or replace the watermelon completely.
- Instead of balsamic glaze, use a red wine vinegar dressing or a lime dressing to enhance the flavors in a different way.
- Make this salad a meal by adding in sliced avocado and quinoa for healthy fats, making it more filling.
What to Serve with Watermelon Cucumber Salad
I love to make this salad for summer cookouts! Not only is it super refreshing on a hot day but it pairs well as a side to whatever you're grilling and even other side salads. Try it alongside quinoa bean burgers, potato salad, and/or this three bean salad.
If you have leftover watermelon, make our watermelon mimosas!
This salad is the most refreshing when it's cold! Make sure all the ingredients are cold when you make it and you're keeping the salad refrigerated until you're ready to serve.
Other recipes you might like
Try our other fruity and fresh salads!Print