Refreshing, flavorful, and easily made at home, this blueberry pomegranate margarita is the perfect cocktail for any occasion. It's ready in 5 minutes and is perfect to serve either straight up, on the rocks with a salted rim, frozen or skinny. Plus, it's perfect for a crowd!
Margaritas are my ultimate drink of choice and this blueberry pomegranate margarita never fails to hit the spot. It's made with blueberry pomegranate juice and other classic margarita ingredients.
I love to serve this vegan cocktail on the rocks with fresh lime wedges and salted rims, but you can enjoy this frozen by blending in some ice or by making it a skinny margarita.
Why you'll love this recipe
This unique margarita is going to be your go-to cocktail for your own personal happy hour or for your next get together.
- You only need 5 ingredients and a cocktail shaker!
- This margarita is made without a simple syrup and without margarita mix which cuts down the calories and the time needed to make this drink.
- It's easy to make and can easily scaled for a crowd!
- It's a vegan-friendly cocktail!
Blanco Tequila: The base of any good margarita! I recommend Casamigos, Patron, or really any tequila you know you like. White or silver tequilas have that lightest tequila flavor, but feel free to use reposado or gold tequila instead. I've tested it with all 3 and it's just as delicious.
Orange Liqueur: Orange liqueur is a sweetened distilled spirit that adds a sweetness and citrus flavor. It's the key to getting that classic margarita taste! You can use anything like Triple Sec, Grand Marnier, or Cointreau.
Blueberry Pomegranate Juice: to get that blueberry pomegranate flavor we're after. This juice is sold in grocery stores (the refrigerated produce section) or on Amazon! Aside from providing delicious flavor, you'll receive a nice dose of antioxidants.
Lime Juice: An essential ingredient! I highly recommend using fresh limes and not the bottled lime juice! It will work in a pinch, but fresh lime juice is always the way to go.
Agave: Because this margarita is made without simple syrup, the agave will act as our natural sweetener! While the orange liqueur will already add some sweetness, the agave will really round out the flavors.
I love margaritas, and really any cocktail, because of how simple they are to make at home.
Using a slit lime wedge, run it along the rim of your cocktail glasses. Dip the rim of the glasses in coarse salt or sugar, if desired.
Add the blueberry pomegranate juice to a cocktail shaker along with the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, and agave. Add ice and shake well for 15-20 seconds, or until the cocktail shaker is ice cold to touch. If you don't have a cocktail shaker, feel free to add ingredients to a mixing glass and stir with a cocktail spoon.
Serve straight up or on the rocks. Garnish with fresh blueberries and enjoy!
Substitutions & Variations
This recipe is super simple and delicious as is, but here's a few ways to switch it up if you'd like/need!
Make this a skinny margarita by leaving out the agave.
Turn this into a frozen margarita by adding all of the ingredients plus 2-3 cups of ice in a blender and blending until you've reached a smooth or slushy texture, totally your preference.
Replace the blueberry pomegranate juice with either a mixture of 1 cup pomegranate juice and 1 cup blueberry juice or plain pomegranate juice and a homemade blueberry puree. To make the blueberry puree, blend together 1 cup frozen blueberries and 1 cup water. I know not all grocery stores have the same products, so hopefully these options are helpful!
Use a simple syrup instead of using agave. To make a simple syrup, boil ½ cup water, then once boiling add ½ cup sugar and stir until just dissolved. Let it cool completely before adding it to your margarita.
Hate tequila? Feel free to use vodka instead of tequila to make this a blueberry pomegranate vodkarita.
Make this a spicy margarita by adding a few slices of Jalapeño. Jalapeños pair really well with blueberries and pomegranate on their own, so why not together?!
- Taste and adjust!! We all have a different tolerance for alcohol, so feel free to add more juice or more tequila based on your preference.
- Make sure you shake, not stir! Shaking with ice not only chills the drink and blends the ingredients completely, but it adds to the classic cloudy, frothy appearance of margaritas.
- If you have the time, chill your glasses before serving. Not only does it make rimming your glasses much easier, it keeps your drink ice cold (especially if you're serving it straight up).
Yes! Leaving out the ice, mix all of the ingredients together and pour it into a pitcher. Do not add ice or fresh blueberries until you're ready to serve. Adding ice or blueberries too soon will lead to a watered down cocktail with spoiled berries. The margarita will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 7-10 days.
Cointreau is the perfect Triple Sec substitute! Cointreau has an orange perfume flavor that's well balanced between bitter and sweet, while Triple Sec can have a more harsh flavor. If you just don't want to use an orange liqueur, you can substitute it at a 1:1 ratio with an orange juice concentrate.
I highly recommend using a lime wedge to get the rim of your glass wet, as it's a bit stickier than water. Cut a slit in the lime and run it along the rim of the glass to moisten. You could also dip the rim in freshly squeezed lime juice. Pour the salt on a plate or shallow dish. Simply dip the rim of the glass in the salt to coat the rim.
Other recipes you might like
If you make this blueberry pomegranate margarita, be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram. If you have any questions or feedback at all, send me an e-mail or leave a comment below! I hope you love this dish as much as we do!
Blueberry Pomegranate Margarita
- 2 ounces blanco/silver tequila
- 1 ounces orange liqueur
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces (21-42 g) blueberry pomegranate juice
- 1-2 tablespoons agave
- Salted or sugared rim
- Fresh blueberries
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker or some sort of vessel you can put a lid on and shake well to combine. You could also add all ingredients to a mixing glass and stir with a cocktail spoon until combined.2 ounces blanco/silver tequila, 1 ounces orange liqueur, 2 ounces fresh lime juice, 2 ounces blueberry pomegranate juice, 1-2 tablespoons agave
- Rim glasses with lime juice then dip in coarse salt or sugar, if desired.Salted or sugared rim
- Add fresh blueberries, ice, and pour in the margarita mix. Enjoy!Fresh blueberries