This cheesy vegan mac and cheese is comfort food at it's finest! This mac and cheese is made without cashews, with nutritional yeast, and is ready to eat in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect easy weeknight meal!
- 12oz pasta of your choice
- 1 shallot (55g), diced
- 4 garlic cloves (9g), minced
- 2 tablespoons (30g) vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon (12g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) plant-based milk
- 2 teaspoons (14g) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (17g) nutritional yeast
- 1 cup (225g) vegan cheddar shreds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by cooking the pasta in salted water according to the package instructions.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and sauté for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Then add in the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over garlic and shallot and stir to coat and combine. Keep stirring for 1 minute to cook down.
- Slowly stir in your plant-based milk, whisking constantly, until smooth and slightly thickened. Bring to a low simmer and stir in the nutritional yeast, vegan cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat and add in the cooked pasta, mixing well to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional values are estimates for the chickpea salad only. Please see our full disclosure here.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe
- Calories: 417
- Sugar: 5.2g
- Sodium: 581mg
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese without cashews, vegan mac and cheese with nutritional yeast, dairy free mac and cheese