Easily made in one bowl and taking less than 20 minutes to bake, these lemon blueberry muffins make the perfect grab & go breakfast. Take them to the next level by topping them with a streusel crumble topping OR a yummy lemon glaze.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 3/4 cup (160g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (8g) fresh lemon zest (~2 large lemons)
- 1 3/4 cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (9g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (50g) coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup (117mL) canned full fat coconut milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons (14g) flax seed meal + 6 tablespoons (70mL) water)
- 2 tablespoons (24g) fresh lemon juice (~1 large lemon)
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) fresh blueberries
Streusel Topping, optional
- 1/2 cup (110g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (33g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1-2 tablespoons (4-8g) fresh lemon zest
Lemon Glaze, optional
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (18g) lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) lemon zest
Streusel Topping, optional but highly recommended
- Combine the sugar, flour, lemon zest, and melted butter until crumbly. Place in the fridge until you're ready to top and bake the muffins.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 450F and line a standard muffin tin with 12 liners.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and lemon zest. Using your hands, press the lemon zest into the sugar until fully combined.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder to the mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour in the blueberries and toss until fully coated.
- Create a small well in the dry ingredients and pour in the coconut milk* (see notes!), melted coconut oil, lemon juice, flax eggs and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, fold together all of the ingredients until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, evenly distribute the batter across the lined muffin tin. Take the crumble out of the fridge and sprinkle a hefty amount on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 10 minutes then, while keeping the muffins in the oven, drop the temperature to 375F and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes. Optional: while they muffins are cooling, feel free to make the lemon glaze.
- Top with lemon zest or the lemon glaze and serve! Enjoy while warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Because coconut milk naturally separates in the can, I recommend pouring the entire can into a blender and blending for a few seconds. This will get the milk back into one homogenous liquid that you can then easily measure.
Leftover muffins can be stored at room temperature for 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer (after they've cooled) for up to 3 months.
Nutritional values are estimates only. Please see our full disclosure here.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 12.6g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 3.6mg
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan lemon blueberry muffins, lemon blueberry muffins, vegan blueberry muffins