This easy, one pot, vegan 3 bean chili is the ultimate comfort dish this fall and winter! Ready in less than 30 minutes, it's the perfect option for a quick, simple, & hearty lunch or dinner. Check out the FAQ section if you'd like to cook this recipe in a crock pot, slow cooker, or instant pot.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, or any cooking oil
- 4 cloves (18g) of garlic, minced
- 1 (200g) medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/4 cup (140g) plant-based ground beef (Gardein Ground B'ef or Beyond Meat)
- 2 tablespoons (12g) chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can marinara sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained & rinsed
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup up to 1 cup vegetable broth, to thin - I typically do not use this
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan cheddar shreds
- Tortilla chips
- Fresh cilantro
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add the olive oil to the instant pot and press the sauté function. Add the diced onions, garlic and vegan ground beef and sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the spices and stir to coat, sautéing for another 1 to 2 minutes. Then add in all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Turn off the sauté function by hitting cancel.
- Close the instant pot and make sure it’s sealed. Then, select manual mode and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Then press cancel to allow for natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then carefully set the valve to 'venting' to release any remaining pressure. If you're in a hurry, carefully press quick release. Only remove the lid when it finishes releasing, there should not be any more steam coming out.
- Give a good stir and taste to adjust according to your preference. If the chili is too thin, close the lid and let it sit to thicken for 5-10 minutes. If it's too thick, stir in 1/2 cup of vegetable stock at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Dutch Oven/Stove Top Instructions
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion, vegan ground beef crumbles, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in all of the spices, stir to coat the onion, garlic, and crumbles and let cook for another minute or two.
- Add in pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, corn, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and then let simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. If a thinner consistency is desired, add in the cup of vegetable broth.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Sauté the meatless ground beef, onions and garlic in a pan on the stove for 5-6 minutes until the onion is translucent
- Add the cooked onions, garlic and meatless crumbles to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or cook on high for 4 hours.
Regardless of the cooking method you used, serve over rice or quinoa and top with your preferred garnishes. I personally chose lime juice, vegan sour cream, vegan cheddar shreds, and avocado.
The vegan ground meat can be replaced with tofu, lentils, TVP, or seitan.
Leftovers stored in an airtight container will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full disclosure here.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 346mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 16.2g
- Protein: 23.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: instant pot vegan chili, vegan chili, three bean vegan chili, vegetarian chili