These vegan double chocolate muffins are fluffy, moist, super chocolatey, made in just one bowl AND are ready to eat in 30 minutes!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter sticks, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal + 5 tbsp water)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- Whisk together soy milk and apple cider vinegar to create 'buttermilk.' In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseed meal + water to create the flax eggs. Set both the buttermilk and flax eggs aside for at least 5 minutes to set.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugar. Add the flax eggs and whisk to combine. Add buttermilk and vanilla, whisk once more.
- To the same bowl, add all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt) and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix once or twice to make sure they're evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure, divide the batter evenly between the 12 lined muffin tins. The batter should reach just below the rim of the liner. Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the heat to 375°F and bake for 15 more minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before enjoying!
If you do not have any cupcake liners, no worries! Just grease the muffin tins very well with vegan butter.
Do not mix up baking powder with baking soda like I did when I was first testing these. This mix up will cause them to taste HORRIBLE. If you'd like to use baking soda, you can use 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and reduce the baking powder to 2 1/2 teaspoons.
I highly recommend using vegan butter sticks as opposed to the tubs of vegan butter.
For the buttermilk, you can use any non-dairy milk and you can sub ACV for lemon juice or white vinegar.
Coconut sugar can be subbed for white sugar at a 1:1 ratio. This will result in a slightly less sweet muffin.
Muffins can be stored in airtight container for 3 days at room temperature or can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 114mg
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: double chocolate muffins, vegan chocolate muffins, vegan double chocolate muffins