This creamy dairy free tomato soup is comfort food at its finest! Made with canned tomatoes and coconut milk, this soup has the perfect texture and a hint of sweetness. It's quick and easy lunch or dinner that's best served with vegan grilled cheese, homemade croutons, or a vegan caesar salad, especially during the colder months!
- 1 tablespoon oil (avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves (8g) garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (115g) vegetable broth
- 1 (13.oz) full fat coconut milk, and more for drizzling on top, if desired
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Place a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat and add in the olive oil and sliced onions. Cook onions, stirring occasionally until they have caramelized and turned golden brown. Lower the heat only if they're getting too dark or sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the onions are caramelized, reduce the heat slightly and add in the garlic, cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add in your canned tomatoes and break them up a bit with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the full fat coconut milk, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft.
- Using an immersion blender (or transferring to a blender or food processor in batches), blend until completely smooth. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed/desired.
- Divide across 4 bowls, garnishing with fresh basil and a drizzle of coconut milk or oil. Serve with homemade croutons, vegan grilled cheese, or side salad. Enjoy!
If you'd like to use fresh tomatoes, replace the can of tomatoes with 3 cups of a combination of fresh cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes and/or roma tomatoes.
Homemade crouton recipe can be found here.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutritional values are only estimates. Please see our full disclosure here.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 267mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 10.3g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: vegan tomato soup, dairy free tomato soup, vegan tomato soup with coconut milk, vegan tomato soup no cashews, dairy free tomato soup with canned tomatoes