Your search for the best chocolate chip cookies is over! Whether you're vegan or not, you'll be obsessed with these vegan brown butter chocolate chip cookies. They have a soft, chewy, gooey center with a crispy edge, and are truly heaven sent.
- 2 replacement eggs (flax eggs: 2 tbsp of flaxseed meal + 5 tbsp of water; or Bob's Red Mill replacement eggs: 2 tbsp of powder + 5 tbsp of water)
- 1 cup of vegan butter, browned
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp of vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 cups of dark chocolate chips
- a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, for garnish (optional but highly recommended)
- In a pan, melt and brown the butter over medium heat, whisking constantly until the butter begins to foam and turns a light golden brown. As soon as it turns the golden brown color, remove the pan from heat and pour the liquid into a bowl. Allow the butter to cool for 5-10 minutes. Do not let it re-solidify, it should still be a pourable liquid.
- Prepare the flax or replacement egg and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled brown butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat until smooth. Add replacement eggs and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt). Pour the dry ingredients into the large bowl that has the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined - do not overmix! Pour in the chocolate chips and mix once or twice more to evenly distribute.
- Chill the dough for at least a half of an hour. While chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop the dough and roll into balls, placing on the prepared baking sheet a few inches apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes, until golden and the edges are just set (you want to underbake them slightly, as they'll continue to bake as they cool).
- Remove the cookies from the oven and drop them onto the counter from about chest height once or twice. Sprinkle each cookie with flaky sea salt and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Carbohydrates: 19.9g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
Keywords: vegan chocolate chip cookies, vegan brown butter chocolate chip cookies, brown butter chocolate chip cookies