These vegan apple cider donuts that are moist, fluffy, flavorful, and coated in cinnamon sugar. Baked instead of fried, they make the perfect cozy fall breakfast or dessert that's ready to be devoured in less than an hour!
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider, reduced to 1/2 cup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 egg replacer (1 tablespoon egg replacer powder + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan buttermilk (1/2 cup unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk + 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Start by reducing your apple cider. In a medium sauce pan, simmer apple cider over medium-low heat until there's 1/2 cup remaining. Start checking the amount of apple cider you have left after 10 minutes of simmering, then check every 5 minutes until you have 1/2 cup remaining. Pour into a bowl or measuring cup and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease your donut pan well. If you don't have a donut pan, check out either the variations & substitutions section or the FAQ section. Prepare the egg replacer and vegan buttermilk, let both sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together reduced apple cider, melted vegan butter, replacement egg, dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, vegan buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. The batter will be relatively thick.
- Using a piping bag, a ziploc bag with one of the corners cut off by 1/2 inch, or just using a spoon, fill each of the donut cavities half way with batter. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. While the donuts are still hot, toss them in the cinnamon sugar then place on a cooling rack. Repeat until all of the donuts are coated, then toss in the cinnamon sugar one more time to ensure they're fully coated. Serve immediately and enjoy!
You can reduce the apple cider the night before you'd like to bake the donuts. I do not recommend making the entire batter ahead of time, as the donuts will not rise as well.
You can transform this recipe into muffins, mini donuts, or munchkins (donut holes). Please refer to the variations & substitutions section.
Nutritional values are estimates only. Please see our full disclosure.
- Prep Time: 35 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Donut
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 15.1g
- Sodium: 163mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 32.9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: baked apple cider donuts, vegan donuts, vegan apple cider donuts, vegan baked apple cider donuts, apple cider donut holes